Sunday, October 3, 2010

Who has the power?


"At one extreme, some comments are overly 
harsh or disrespectful, and usurp control over student writing, making 
sweeping editorial changes and dictating what should be said or how it 
should be presented from top to bottom. At the other extreme, some 
teacher comments are so minimal and generic that they become detached 
and offer no help, no real response. Both extremes ought to be avoided. "

The question of control in editing a paper is definitely an interesting one. When I first read Straub's article, "The Concept of Control in a Teacher Response", I was a bit skeptical. Having been on the receiving end of many teacher responses and comments on papers, I honestly like a teacher who takes control and tells me what they want. It is probably the lazy aspect of me that doesn't want to do any more work than I have to, but maybe it's the part of me that says "I've laid it all out there, I've given it my best shot, if you don't like it you better tell me what to change". And so I expected Straub to chastise teachers who give directive comments and to promote watered down comments that don't really guide the writer anywhere, just leave them confused as to whether the teacher liked it or not. 

I was presently surprised, then, when Straub recognized the importance of a multi-faceted approach, comments that both guide but encourage, that form as a sounding board. Most importantly, Straub realizes that not every teacher is the same, not every learning situation is the same, and not every student is the same. Therefore rather than prescribe one specific type of editing he encourages for teachers to find what works for them, as long as it is not one of the extremes in the quotes above. Again, this brings me back to the personal attachment a student has to their writing. Harshly directive comments will just crush a writer's spirit, but confusingly vague questions will just frustrate. It will be interesting to see what direction my style of editing will take in the months ahead.

3 comments:

  1. I think that the issue of commenting on paper is such a hard one to handle. All writers are so sensitive about their work. I know I always say that i appreciate criticism, and while i do, a small part of me is always bitter for like 5 seconds before i get over and just make the changes. It always hits a bit close to home when someone has something bad to say about your paper. At the same time, people want to improve and telling someone their paper is good when its actually terrible isn't helpful either.... what a conundrum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I think you set up the important question of how to phrase professorial or editorial comments on a students' papers excellently. As Gyra, perceptively points out, even well-versed students with writing intensive majors have a hard time accepting some comments...even after we have been conditioned to expect that no professor will be left without suggestion for improvement. Personally, I think that it's important for a professor to be as specific as they possibly can...comments like "expand your thesis" or "consider re-reading the primary texts" can probably apply to 90% of undergraduate papers. Also, I think you explore the importance of individuality and more importantly, adapting to the individuality of others (both professors and students) quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The professor I interviewed addressed the subject about being critiqued and people being insulted or offended. She said that she used to take her writing so personally and wouldn't want anyone to critique her. She said that at some point she was so concerned with being coming a better writer that she wanted all the advice that she could get. I hope I can get to that point!

    ReplyDelete