Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Digital Story Interview

This past week I sat down with Dr. Hicks for the interview on writing, his identity as a writer, and his view of the writing process in general.
I went into the interview with almost no idea what direction it would take. Dr. Hicks teaches my living and learning class, Leadership and the Common Good, and so I have a fairly solid relationship with him as a professor and an individual. However, I was nervous about stepping into his office, questioning him about his world view and his writing. What if I ran out of questions? What if I asked a question that rubbed him the wrong way? I went in with the purpose of not only recording his observations on writing, but with the purpose of getting to know him as a person and as an academic better. I knew that he had written and published multiple books, and was interested in knowing his motivations for writing - does he love writing as an art form in itself or does he view it simply as a tool for communication? Finally, I wanted to know his opinion on things we'd discussed in class, like the bullshit essay and the role of audience vs personal voice in writing - these were more selfish questions as someone turning in papers for him to grade, and as a student wanting to hear the perspective of the "other side".
I came away with more than just an interview for my digital story - I came away with a better understanding of the academic life of a professor, and personalizing the sometimes impersonal grades that one receives on a paper. It hit me that this project is more than learning how to use this technology or  even how to communicate with multi-media. It brings us closer with professors, who as writing consultants are our allies and our suppliers, not the distant judge that so many students view them as, even in the small liberal arts school setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment